Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
San Remo Curly Lasagna 8.80oz
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
18 oz ground beef
5 tbsp tomato paste
28 oz canned tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
4 ½ oz mozzarella or cheddar cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onion, carrot and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add ground beef and cook until brown.
- Stir in tomato paste, canned tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and cook gently 20 mins.
- Melt butter in a separate saucepan, stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes over gentle heat.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk. Return to heat, stir continuously until thick and smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add mozzarella or cheddar cheese then stir over a low heat until cheese melts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour ½ cup of the meat sauce into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Alternate layers of lasagna, meat and cheese sauces, ending with a cheese sauce layer (allow for 4 layers).
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, bake in oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through (test if cooked by pricking with a fork).
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.